This has been a huge couple of months for the Funkwhale project. We made headway in some important projects and even released two bugfix versions! Let's take a look at some of what's been going on in more detail.
Development and funding updates
A little while ago we mentioned that we had negotiated a change to our funding with NLNet. We decided that adding features before improving the infrastructure wasn't a good idea. With that in mind, we've allocated our funding to the following projects:
- Create a design system
- Create a repository of reusable Vue components
- Migrate to Typescript
- Refactor the embedded player
- Migrate the Frontend to Vue 3
- Create a Typescript client library
- Update the outdated
- Update the administrator documentation
- Add multi-language support to the documentation
- Create a Python client library
- Rework the Docker deployment architecture
The exciting news is that some of this work is already done and more is in progress!
- We've already made a lot of progress with the Vue 3 and Typescript migration thanks to Kasper.
- Sporiff is currently rewriting the documentation and the admin documentation is almost finished.
- Georg has taken care of the outdated
requests-http-signaturelibrary and brought it in-house.
- Georg has also started work on multi-language docs support.
- Mathieu has been working hard on the new design system. We're aiming to bring more of it into our blog, website, and app as we go.
Phew! There is a lot happening behind the scenes. We hope these changes improve everyone's experience and make the project easier to work on.
We don't have a concrete timeline for 1.3 yet. The changes to the app are huge, so we'll need to do a lot of testing. We expect a lot of bugfix releases immediately following the release! 🐛
Funkwhale in the news
NKCproductions recently wrote an interesting article about the Funkwhale project. The article goes into some details about the Funkwhale project, its history, its approach, and the challenges it faces. Check it out!
Change to our financial situation
Following a vote on our forum, we are migrating our financial hosting to Tech Cultivation. This will hopefully make managing our finances easier long-term, and give us access to more resources. You can check out our previous blog post for more information.
All other business
We've had some amazing contributions by the community this month! We're really thankful that people continue to get involved with our project. Thank you for all your support and encouragement 🎉
Take care everyone! 🐋